• Play dynamic musical games and work in ensembles
• Learn traditional drumming patterns through rhythmic rhymes
• Experience drumming, song, and dance from around the world (Mali, Puerto Rico, Ghana, Turkey, etc.)
• Sing, play and move to rhythms from around the world
• Find new ways to connect mind, body, and voice through rhythm
• Develop skill in improvising, soloing, and conducting
Each student receives a Rhythm Kids songbook, audio recordings, and access to interactive online video drumming tutorials, so that the entire family can continue the fun and learning at home, and parents can stay connected to what their child is learning in class.
Rhythm Kids Level I
Rhythm Kids Level II
Classes are for children K–2 (ages 5 through 8) and include:
10 weekly, 45-minute classes
Animal Collection Songbook and CD each semester
Access to online video tutorials and play-alongs
This is an instrument-learning class, so your child will need a drum. Please speak to your teacher for more information.
The Voice, the Body & the Drum
Although we typically play African djembe drums in class, Rhythm Kids is way more than just a drumming class, as our main focus is to develop rhythm using the voice, the body and the instrument. Classes include singing, movement, rhythm activities, games, improvisation, and drumming patterns. Children learn and experience the drum patterns in chant form first, and then transfer that learning into drumming and movement, some of which is based on traditional folk dance. Classes include activities and instrument play that allow children to create and express themselves through music and movement, multicultural rhythm patterns, songs from around the world, and music-based games and activities.